I have lived in Karlsruhe over a year, but I have not really told y’all about my home in Germany. On a bike ride through the city yesterday at dusk, I actually had my SLR with me for once and decided to snap a few photos of the city to share with y’all.
Karlsruhe Quick Facts
- home to ~290,000 residents
- the center of science and technology studies in Germany – the first ever email was received here
- seat of the highest courts of justice in Germany
- nicknamed the Fächerstadt (“Fan City”) due to its unique layout with a center and streets fanning out in a circular manner. It is also said to have inspired the city layout for Washington D.C.
- regional foods to try: gebrantene Maultaschen, Pflammkuchen, Käsespätzle
- ZKM, the Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie, houses the largest collection of ‘interactive media artworks’ in the world (source)
- a relative young city by German standards, founded in 1715
- the schloss (palace) was for Karl Wilhelm, Duke of Baden and thus marked the start of the city
- Karlsruhe translates to Karl’s Rest
- the pyramid in the city center is a tomb, housing the body of the city’s founder
Hope you guys enjoyed your little trip to Karlsruhe! Come visit?